A memorial scholarship fund has been established in honor and memory of John C. Shilan, Pharm.D. (Pharm.D.’11/P). The scholarship fund will make awards to selected young pharmacists who have demonstrated an interest in added credentials enabling them to provide specialized patient care services based on additional knowledge and skill. “John’s young life was cut way too short; but this scholarship will keep John’s name and spirit alive in the future, by helping young pharmacists enhance patient care outcomes… just as John would have done,” said Kelly Hasty Kale, President of the VPhA Foundation.
The intent of the John C. Shilan Scholarship is to enable young pharmacists to achieve added credentials for specialized patient care services that enhance desired patient outcomes and create new models of pharmacy practice that, by example, can be emulated by other pharmacists.
- Applicants must have graduated from an accredited school of pharmacy within the past 10 years.
- Applicants must be providing patient care services to citizens of Virginia.
- Applicants must submit letters of interest with resume and/or CV that include all elements described in the Application Instructions below.
- The Academy of New Practitioners of the VPhA is encouraged to promote the scholarship program among its members
- Membership in VPhA is encouraged, but not required
- The scholarship award may only be used for post-graduate training and certification of eligible credentials (as identified below).
- The scholarship is a one-time award of $1,000: $500 is payable directly to the pharmacist upon selection by the Shilan Scholarship Committee, and $500 is payable directly to the pharmacist upon submission of documentation of achievement of the credential.
- From the date the scholarship is accepted by the recipient, the Foundation expects the award recipient to: achieve the added credential within a period of time not to exceed 12-18 months; implement the enhanced patient care services within 12-24 months; and share the new model of practice with the media and colleagues within 12-36 months. By the recipient’s example, other pharmacists will surely be motivated to emulate this new model of pharmacy practice. Achievement of all these milestones are expected within 36 months from the date the scholarship is accepted by the Recipient.
- Applications will be due February 1st of each year.
- The selected recipient will be notified by May 1st of each year.
- Each year’s selected recipient will be announced at the VPhA Annual Convention.