Check out the first entry in our new video series, Now We’re Cookin’, where we learn to make sweet potato cheesecake from chef Rabia Kamara (B.S.’10/B), owner of Ruby Scoops Ice Cream and Sweets! You can learn more about her time at VCU and experience owning her own business here.
If you’re a chef and would like to be featured in a future episode of Now We’re Cookin’ email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Crumbled gingersnap cookies
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cups softened cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
Dash of vanilla extract
1 cup sweet potato puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
8-inch form spring pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Add melted butter to crumbled cookies and combine until the mixture holds when pressed together in the palm of your hand. Press an even layer into the bottom of an eight inch formspring pan.
3. Place crust into oven for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and place into square pan. Turn oven down to 325F.
4. In a bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream and sugar. Using an electric mixer on low/medium speed, combine all three until smooth in texture.
5. Add eggs & vanilla.
6. Scrape the bowl well and add puree, spices, and salt.
7. Mix on low speed until just combined and smooth.
8. Pour cheesecake mixture oven crust and place into oven. Pour two inches warm water into square pan to help the cheesecake cook evenly and help keep it from cracking.
9. Cool, top with cinnamon whipped cream & enjoy!