It’s great to be at VCU!
I am delighted to now call Virginia Commonwealth University and Richmond my home. I have spent my life in the Midwest, and I am excited to finally be here. VCU is truly a special place. And that’s why I embarked on this new adventure.
Since arriving on campus in mid-September, I have received such a warm welcome, reinforcing the impressions I formed during my visits this spring and summer. VCU is a university on the move, embedded in a community made up of amazing people who are passionate about their work.
Together, we can build on the wonderful philanthropic successes VCU has already enjoyed. I look forward to working with the great team of faculty, staff, alumni, donors and volunteers to help VCU become a Top 50 public research institution. I am grateful to participate during such an exciting time in the life of VCU.
Marti K. S. Heil
Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
By the numbers: July 1-Nov. 1
- $16.1 million raised toward goal of $70.3 million
- Efforts by the Gold Line call center (annual fund) resulted in:
- 1,568 new gifts and pledges
- Pledge rate of 23 percent (goal is 25 percent)
- Average pledge of $82.18
- 338,576 phone calls to alumni
- 534 first-time donors in FY14 vs. 370 at the same time last year
- Raised $128,000 in first year of program
- 60 VCU students earning an on-campus, paying position
- 11,026 active, dues-paying members of VCU Alumni
- 2,998 alumni donors vs. 1,689 alumni donors this time last year
- On the MCV Campus, three new chairs, four new research funds and nine new scholarships were created as a result of endowment gifts in the last quarter.
- Three spaces were named on the MCV Campus as a result of gifts in the last quarter.
- A $1 million gift from local businessman and VCU benefactor Sam Kornblau renamed the School of Business’ Real Estate Program to the Kornblau Center for Real Estate. Learn more.
- At its celebration gala, the School of Nursing announced the successful completion of the Cabaniss Leadership Challenge, a $4 million campaign. Learn more.
- VCU Massey Cancer Center’s Research For Life campaign has raised $84 million toward a goal of $100 million. Learn more.
- The VCU Athletics Practice Complex has commitments of $10.7 million toward a goal of $14.5 million. Learn more.
- The Institute for Contemporary Art campaign is at $23 million toward a goal of $34 million. Learn more.
- Read more gifts at work articles in the latest edition of the Power of Personal Philanthropy.
- The VCU Alumni Association and the MCV Alumni Association formally adopted revised articles of incorporation and bylaws to create the new VCU Alumnialliance of constituent organizations (academic, geographic and shared interest). Learn more.
- VCU Alumni elected its first board of governors and its first president, alumnus W. Baxter Perkinson Jr., D.D.S. (D.D.S.’70/D). Learn more.
- The RPI Alumni Council continues to raise funds in support of a history wall that will be installed at the University Student Commons. The goal is to raise about $200,000. Learn more.
- The VCU School of Mass Communications was renamed, pending approval of SCHEV, in honor of TV giant and alumnus Richard T. “Dick” Robertson (B.S.’67/MC; HLD’05). Learn more.
- VCU Alumni hosted the 2013 Alumni Stars recognition program Friday, Oct. 25, at the Richmond Marriott. Learn more.
- School of Allied Health Professions’ Department of Health Administration invested department Chairman Carolyn A. Watts as the Richard Bracken Chair, recognizing alumnus Richard M. Bracken (M.H.A.’77/AHP) for his generosity in establishing the chair.